You are not connected. Please login or register

EN European Normal Specifications

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 EN European Normal Specifications on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Admin

Admin
I have some additional questions:

- In your sheet you talk about 1SN, 2SN, 1SC, etc, etc. What I would like to know is why are they called this way. For example the 1SN, where does the S and N stand for?
- Is it a coincidence that you refer to Eaton hoses in your sheet? I work for a Eaton distributor so I am familiar with this hose.

I hope you finish your course soon because I will definitely follow it.

Best regards

View user profile http://www.HoseTraining.com

2 Re: EN European Normal Specifications on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Admin

Admin
The ones you are referring to are the European Norm Standards (EN)

The ST is STandard cover which is the thicker cover and requires skiving for attaching a fitting
The SN is is a thin cover which is bite to wire fittings or in our case TTC fittings with Eaton.
The SC is Compact wire braid which gives the 1/2 bend radius, greater flexibility and 1SN/2SN pressure ratings and is also bite to wire or TTC

I do not recommend using the flat field crimp (non bite-to-wire) fittings and Eaton has all but discontinued them. They have a reduced pressure crimp and affect bend radius which can reduce the life of the hose.

These (ST/SN/SC) I have found documented in catalogs

I've always known the SH to stand for "Spiral Heavy" Hose 
and the SP as "Standard SPiral" Hose

These (SH/SP)I have not found anywhere but is the way I have come to know them...

3 Re: EN European Normal Specifications on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Admin

Admin
The most common hydraulic hoses in the market today are a 1 wire hose SAE100R1AT Type S, EN853 1SN, ISO 1436-1 Type 1SN, a 2 wire hose SAE100R16 Type S, EN857 2SC, ISO11237-1 Type 2SC, a 4 wire hose which is SAE 100R12, EN856 Type R12. If your shop stocks those 3 hoses, it will be capable of handling 80% or more of all hose replacement needs. Additionally, you can use SAE 100R16 Type S EN857 2SC in place of SAE100R1AT Type S EN853 1SN in just about every application which reduces the required stock levels to two style of hose. In short, if you carry GH781 and GH493 in your inventory, you will be prepared for most needs and applications for your shop. If you have heavy equipment and/or catapilar hose requirements, you will need FC273 with complementing fittings.

These hoses are rated by different organizations that set standards for hydraulic hose. SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers, EN is the European Norm and ISO is the Industrial Standards Organization. They have set minimum specifications requirements and construction formats for hydraulic hose which provide knowledge on pressures, how the hose is built such as how many braids of wire reinforcement, what the tube and cover a capable of as far as resistance to chemicals and petroleum. 

In the Reference section of www.HoseTraining.com you will find two SAE/EN specification charts. One is in English units, or the Inch/Foot and PSI standard and the other is in the metric system and Bar. Most hoses are dual branded and provide identification for both measuring systems. 

Although the layline of a hose gives the SAE or EN specification of the hose, it may not give additional information such as a high temperature, additional abrasion resistance or conductivity which are not called out on SAE/EN specifications. Generally hoses are additionally color coded. On standard rubber hoses, a white cover may represent food grade, a black cover is a standard operating temperature up to 212 degrees F (100 C) and a blue cover represents higher temperatures of 300 degrees F (150 C). On Thermoplastic SAE 100R7 and 100R8 hose a black cover stands for a standard conductive hose and an orange cover represents non-conductivity. 

If you have any concern when making a replacement hose or pulling the correct hose from stock, consult the manufacturer or authorized distributor who can give you the proper guidance in selecting the correct hose.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum